RESTORING TWO SUNFISH
SURVEYING THE SITUATION
Boat #1 is in better shape and therefore will
require less work to make it "perfect" than Boat 2. After lying in the
yard for a year, they were pretty dirty, so the first thing I did was flip them
up on their sides and lash them to some nearby trees and scrub them down with
bleach water, a rag, and in some places a green scrub pad to get the difficult
Boat 1 had the following issues:
Like any boat that has been pulled up on rocky beaches, there was some damage to the underside
There is text leftover from belonging to MHAFB, and the splashguard looks awful.
The rudder and daggerboard have cracked varnish in places and dings and gouges in others.
The aluminum hardware is cloudy and looks generally bad.
Goals we have set for Boat 1 include:
- Refinishing the rudder,
daggerboard, and associated hardware
- Possibly anodizing and dying the rudder hardware
- Thoroughly cleaning the top and bottom of the boat
- Filling the abrasions and smoothing the hull
- Replacing the drain unit
- Removing the text from the top of the hull and possibly painting the top
- Re-painting the splashguard
- Installing one or two inspection ports
Boat Two has a few more issues:
There is a rather large abrasion aft of the daggerboard slot, and
a drilled hole just ahead of the daggerboard slot. Also lots of minor
The seam on the starboard side has split open for nearly four feet.
Also, the aluminum trim piece is missing here.
There is a serious-looking crack in the keel that goes rather deep into the fiberglass.
There are some minor dents in the hull.